Ok so it’s 2020 and you have decided you want to get back into the gym. Here’s a couple of things to help you get started:
- Don’t expect to be lifting the same amount of weight that you were before you took a break. Your body is not going to be able to recover as well as it did before you took a break, so take it easy. The last thing you need is to get an injury starting back
- Get out of your head; your going to feel a little out of your depth. When we think of gyms, we think of muscled up, tattooed guys with bulging pecs and an over-inflated ego, and people may think that they’re being judged or even laughed at. This is not the case. No one laughs at someone who is new to training or isn’t in shape. It doesn’t happen. Don’t let your head tell you your not good enough, strong enough, experienced enough. You are! Just get going and enjoy it!
- Set yourself small goals, such as “ this week I’m going to try and make all my meals for the next day myself” or “ this week I’m going to aim for 10 reps on the squat rack, next week 11” and so on, or even “this week, I’m going to make one friend in my bum and Tum class so I enjoy it more”
- Take a friend to the gym. This way you’re going to feel more confident and it will be more fun
- Do a class or activity you like. There is no point in doing 10 sets of 10 reps of it bores your pants off and you don’t do it